Here are a few tips to help you get through the most-awaited part in your US Visa application - the interview with the consul.
1. Be in the US Embassy 30 minutes or 1 hour before your scheduled appointment. It's better to be earlier than usual, than to risk missing your appointment. Being early will keep you composed and relax during the application process.
2. Aside from your passport and required documents stated, also bring the following:
- Black ballpen. No sign pens or gel pens.
3. Do not bring the following as they are not allowed inside the US Embassy:
- Food and drinks
- Snacks and drinks can be bought inside the embassy; there are also snack vendors outside.
- Electronics such as cellphones, tablets, mp3 players, USBs or flash drives, cords, laptops, chargers, cameras, etc.
- The US Embassy does not have a locker room, a safety room, or a counter where you can leave your electronics. If you have a companion, leave it with them. If you're going alone, do not bring your electronics at all.
- There are vendors outside the US Embassy who offer to safekeep your electronics for you while you are inside the premises. You just have to pay P100. I personally think that this is not safe, so better leave them at home.
- Anything with an on and off button
- Sharp objects
- Pepper spray
A helpful tip: if you are in doubt, don't bring it.
4. During the interview:
- Answer straight.
- Be honest.
- Don't say irrelevant information, specially if the consul isn't asking about it in the first place.
- Be confident.
- Your visa photo should show the entirety of your face and features. If you have bangs, make sure to keep them out of your face. It should not cover your eyebrows, etc.
- In case things go wrong with your picture, they have a Kodak booth inside the embassy which can take US visa photos for only P80.
The consul will tell you if your visa is approved or denied right after your interview. It will take 5 to 7 business days for them to process your visa. Your passport, with the US Visa, will be delivered to the address stated in your application form. You will then see if you are approved for multiple entry, single entry, etc.
The US Embassy is located at 1201 Roxas Blvd, Ermita, Manila, 1000 Metro Manila.
Good luck, and most importantly, be honest, read and follow instructions, and be confident!